BLUF Technical credits
This version of BLUF is based around a new database design, and almost everything has been rewritten from the previous version, with the aim of being faster, more secure, and more in tune with the modern web. The principle coder is Nigel Whitfield, Director of BLUF, but it wouldn't have been possible to create a site like this without using many resources, both free and paid for. Those are listed on this page, and we hereby acknowledge the rights of the creators and owners of these works.
Core design and layout
The basic framework for this site is called Skeleton. We've modified it for our needs, including swapping the fonts for Clear Sans by Dan Rhatigan. The menu system is Responsive-Nav, and some additional elements of the site interface come from Bootstrap.
Icons are from Glyphicons Pro, emoji support is provided by EmojiOne, and our photo gallery is PhotoSwipe 4. The BLUF logo was designed by Eliot, from Digital Deluxe.
Libraries and utilities
To make a site like this work, and to build it quickly, there are lots of libraries that we call upon. Thanks to the creators and maintainers of all these essential items:
- Complexify, for checking password strength
- DropZone, for simple file uploads
- ElasticEmail client library, for email delivery
- Facebook PHP SDK, for posting to Facebook
- FPDF, for creating PDF documents
- GeoDataSource, for calculating distances between two locations
- Google Maps and Places, for various location based functions
- jQuery, for so many things
- jsDatePick, for selecting dates easily
- JW Player, for playing videos
- OpenWeatherMap, for weather forecasts
- owfont, for weather symbols
- Parsedown, to enable formatted text on profiles
- PasswordHash, for managing password storage
- phpFlickr, for fetching images from Flickr
- PHP QR code, for displaying QR codes
- Sortable, for drag and drop lists of photos
- Stripe PHP library, for processing payments
- tmhOauth, for Twitter functions
- TOTP library, for Authenticator
- Yubikey, for two factor authentication
The site is coded in PHP, using the Smarty templating engine, and hosted by UK Fast. Security certificates are from LetsEncrypt.
If we've missed you out...
Please accept my apologies, and get in touch, so you can be added to this page.